Murdochcairnie KLM S NO354196 1 362 75m NOF
magistro Rogero de Murdocarn 1189 x 1198 Black Book of St Andrews fo 35r [16th c. copy; w. charter of Bp-elect Roger; he is not in Watt, Graduates]
Murthow Carny 1451 ER v, 467
Murthcarny 1488 ER x, 647 [see Herald Law AMY, above]
(lands of) Murdocarny 1528 RMS iii no. 711 [see Starr KLM]
(James Sinclair of) Murdocarny 1531 RMS iii no. 1015 [footnote]
(lands of) Murdocarny 1531 RMS iii no. 1058 [‘with commonty in the bog between those lands and the lands of Starr’ (cum communia in marresia inter easdem et terras de Star)]
(a quarter of the lands of) Murdocarny 1534 RMS iii no. 1374 [king feus to Walter Oliphant in life rent, and to Thomas O. his son, and to Elizabeth Crichton (Creichtoun) Thomas’s spouse, and heirs]
( 3 quarters of lands of) Murdocarnye 1541 RMS iii no. 2492 [see Starr KLM]
Morthowcarny 1549 Fraser, Buccleuch ii, 192 [grants to Sir William Scott of Kirkurd (Kyrkurde) PEB, ‘to be resauit fra the handis of our chalmerlene of our landis and lordschype of Fyf, off the radyast profectes and dewteis (from the readiest profits and dues) resauit be hyme of our landis off Ster and Morthowcarny lyand within the scherefdowme of Fyf’]
( 3 quarters of lands of) Murdocarny 1563 Retours (Fife) no. 52 [see Starr]
Murdocairny 1611 Retours (Fife) no. 220 [thirled to Rathillet (Rathalert) Mill]
Murdocarney 1627 Retours (Fife) no. 356
terris de Murdocairnie 1636 Retours (Fife) no. 535 [Melville of Monimail]
Murdoch-Carny 1642 Gordon MS Fife
terris de Murdocarny 1648 Retours (Fife) no. 754 [Melville of Monimail]
Murdocairnie 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Murdo-Cairny 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Murdocairny 1692 Retours (Fife) no. 1336 [Master Alexander Melville, half of lands of Murdochcairnie, and other half of said lands]
Murdy Cairnie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Murdo Cairnie 1818 Sasines no. 11,985 [‘ ... in those parts of the lands and estate of Murdo Cairnie called the lands of Stael, and part of the lands of Scrym (Screen # KLM) and Paddockhall’]
Murdocairnie 1828 SGF
Murdochcairnie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn Murdoch + en Cairnie.
‘The part of the lands of Cairnie held by Murdoch’ (G Muireadhach, OG Muiredach). If the earliest recorded form of this name can be relied upon (a sixteenth-century copy of a late twelfth-century document), then the eponymous Murdoch must have lived before the date of that document.
Murdochcairnie lies only 1.2 km west of KLM’s boundary with LOG, whose earlier name was Logiemurdoch (Logymurdach, Loginmurthak, Logymurtach etc.; see Logie, below), and in which parish a man called Murdac or Morthac of Glacister was granted land in the fourteenth century (see LOG Intro., Church Dedication). Other FIF place-names containing Murdoch are Inchmurdo # SSL (PNF 3) and Knockmurdo NBH, below.
The lands of Murdochcairnie are usually associated with those of Starr KLM in sixteenth-century documents. It also gave rise to the OS Pathf. name Murdochcairnie Hill (NO350192 155m), misspelled on OS Explorer (2001) Murdochcairne Hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4