Mountquhanie KLM S NO347212 1 110m
Monhanyn 1294 PRO E 372/141/m. 56 [see PNF 5, App. 2]
terre de Monwanyn 1294 PRO E101/331/1 [‘lie waste’ (iacent vaste)]
Munfanyn 1294 E 101/331/1 B [see PNF 5, App. 2]
Munchany 1318 RRS v no. 141 [15th c. copy of a Robert I inspection of an Alexander II inspection of charter by Malcolm earl of Fife to Culross Abbey; see note RRS v, p. 419; with Rathillet, part of earl’s endowment of Culross Abbey]
(George Balfour of) Monquhanny 1448 NLS Adv. MS 15.1.18 no. 102 [o.c.]
(George Balfour of) Munquhane 1459 RMS ii no. 701
terras de Munquhany 1465 RMS ii no. 851 [king grants to Michael Balfour ‘the lands of Mountquhanie’ and Strathore KDT (PNF 1), resigned by Michael’s uncle George Balfour of Mountquhanie]
(barony of) Munquhanny 1493 RMS ii no. 2149 [with mill]
(Balfour of) Munquhanny 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 92 [late Michael Balfour feuar of Mountquhanie, father of Andrew Balfour]
Monthquhanny 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 92 [lands of M. and Strathore KDT (PNF 1)]
(Andrew Balfour of) Buchquhane 1530 RMS iii no. 964 [to Andrew Balfour of Mountquhanie (Buchquhane) and Janet Bruce 40 s. of land (of old extent) called Strathore (Strauthoir) KDT in barony of Mountquhanie (Buchquhane)]
(barony of) Buchquhane 1530 RMS iii no. 964 [see preceding]
(Andrew Balfour of) Monquhany 1541 RMS iii no. 2261 [half mains land of Mountquhanie (Monquhany) in the barony of Mountquhanie (Monquhany)]
(half mains land of) Monquhany 1541 RMS iii no. 2261 [see preceding]
(Andrew Balfour of) Balquhany 1548 RMS iv no. 191 [queen grants to Michael Balfour, son and heir of Andrew Balfour of Balquhany, lands and barony of Monquhany viz ‘mains lands of M.’ (terras dominicales de M.), lands of Strathore KDT, 8 merks annual rent from lands of Fernie MML, with tower and fortalice and manor of M., etc.]
terras et baroniam de Monquhany 1548 RMS iv no. 191 [see preceding]
Andro Balfour of Montquhanny 1566 Assumption, 60 [father of James Balfour, parson of Flisk, and holder of the tak of rents, fruits etc. of Balmerino Abbey, which they had obtained of the late Robert, last abbot of the monastery]
Monquhany 1590 RPC iv, 785
Monwhany Cast<le> 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B
Montquhanny 1598 Retours (Fife) no. 74 [Walter Scott, 50 merks annual rent from the lands of Mountquhanie]
(Michael Balfour of) Montquhany 1605 RMS vi no. 1553
terras et baroniam de Montquhany 1607 RMS vi no. 1985 [to Andrew Wemyss of Myrecairnie KLM, one of the senators of the College of Justice, ‘the lands and barony of Mountquhanie’, with annual rent of 10 merks from Fernie MML, incorporated in the said barony, which belonged to Andrew Balfour of Mountquhanie (Montquhany), knight]
Montquhany 1617 Retours (Fife) no. 267
apud lie dame de Monquhany 1631 x 1632 RMS viii no. 1910 [‘at the dam of Mountquhanie’; see Lochmalony KLM for more details]
Mondwqhuanny 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Mondwqhuanny Cotton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Montwhanney 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Monwhanny 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Monwhanny Cotton 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
(lands and barony of) Montwhanny 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1034 [Lumsden]
Muntwhannie 1676 Retours (Fife) no. 1156 [Robert Ged, rent from lands of]
Mountquhannie 1676 Retours (Fife) no. 1594
Mount Whanna 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Jn Gillespie Esqr’]
Mountwhannie 1790s OSA 468
Mountquhanie 1828 SGF
Mountquhanie 1845 NSA ix, 540 [‘David Gillespie Esq. of Kirkton and’]
Mountquhanie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [‘ruins of’ at above NGR]
Mountquhanie House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G mòine and G baile + ? + – in
The first element is G mòine ‘moss, bog’, referring to the large marshy area to the south-east of Mountquhanie House and Castle (see also The Starr KLM, below). The forms Buchquhane (1530) and Balquhany (1548) suggest that in the Gaelic-speaking period the first (generic) element may also have been both ‘hut’ or baile ‘farm’ (an example of generic element variation, for which see Taylor 1997). The second element, the initial consonant cluster of which most likely represents lenited c, is more problematical. Dwelly gives can as an obsolete G word meaning ‘cub, whelp’, and cana ‘poet of the fourth grade’, while DIL has both these meanings under cana or cano, adding ‘singer’ to the list of meanings. If ‘poet or singer’s moss’, the name would belong to the same category as Balbairdie KGH (PNF 1), Balbaird NBN, which may also show the same generic variation of mòine and baile (see PNF 2 s.n.), and Balvaird ANY PER, FIF.
Another possibility is that the second element is associated with G (and OG) canach ‘bog-cotton’, which is plausible enough as a qualifier of G mòine ‘bog, moss’. Kilwhannie Den, Abernyte PER (Carquhannan 1783 Stobie) and Drumwhannan SLO, below, may contain diminutives of one or other of the above words found as the generic in Mountquhanie.
The final syllable is the frequently occurring locational ending –in ‘place of’.
W. J. Watson, in discussing an early form of this name (Munquhany 1465 RMS ii no. 851) under names containing monadh, failed to make the connection with Mountquhanie, stating that the name is now obsolete (1926, 403).
Millar states that Duncan ‘last earl of Fife’ (i.e. Duncan IV, who died in 1353) gave ‘lands of Moulhany to his relative Michael Balfour of Strathore in the early fourteenth century, in exchange for the lands of Pittencrieff [CUP], stating that the grant was confirmed by David II in 1353 (1895 ii, 312).
Mountquhanie is at the centre of a large estate comprising Drumnod KLM, Murdochcairnie KLM, Newcairnie KLM, Starr KLM and Creich. Unfortunately the old field-names, as well as the estate plans, have been lost.
The NGR is of Mountquhanie Castle, a ruin, shown as an antiquity on OS Pathf. OS Pathf. also shows Mountquhanie Farm and Mountquhanie House.
/mauntˈhwɔnɪ/, sometimes also /məntˈhwanɪ/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4