Long Hill KLM R NO393232 1
Long Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc lang + Sc hill
‘Long hill’. That this name is much older that the SSE form which appears on OS 6 inch 1st edn, is suggested by the name ‘the spring of Langside’ (fontem de Langside), one of the marches of the extra piece of ground extending Simon [III] of Kinnear’s grant of Wester Kinnear to Balmerino Abbey (1243 × 1260 Balm. Lib. 13). The spring itself probably lay beside the main road, about 20 m west of the Easter Kinnear Farm Road end (c.NO402233). The name refers to the long, even slope rising up from the valley bottom to Long Hill, the local name for the hill which appears on the OS maps as Newton Hill (NO398239). The name Long Hill as applied by the Ordnance Survey to the hill above Wester Kinnear, and which supplies the above NGR (NO393232), does not in fact correspond to local usage (Taylor and Henderson 1998, 239). This is confirmed by the East Kinnear field-name (The) Long Hill, which lies on Newton Hill.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4