Tayfield FGN S NO421274 1 352 25m
Tayfield 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Tayfield 1828 SGF
Tayfield House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Tayfield Den to the west]
en Tay + SSE field
‘Field on or near the Tay’; the name was coined by John Berry, who bought the greater part of Inverdovat in 1787 and who, in the following year, set about building a new house, which developed into Tayfield House (Millar 1895 ii, 283; Gifford 1988, 337), where the Berry family still live. The greater part of Newport was built on the Tayfield estate (Millar 1895 ii, 283, 297).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4