Craig Head FGN CR NO423286 1 352 0m
Craig Head 1703 Adair/Sea-Coast (Tay) [seems to refer to a headland]
Craig Head 1775 Ainslie/Fife [settlement, see 1855 entry]
Craighead 1791 RHP614 [lands or farm forming the western march of ‘part of the Back Common of Inverdovat’, while Scotscraig forms the eastern march]
Craighead c.1810 x 1834 Tayfield Plan P43 [shows two settlements called Craighead, both on shore, the more northerly one at OS Pathf. Craig Head (= OS 6 inch (1855) Craighead Cottage), the other about 300 m to the south (marked but not named on 1855 map); the plan also shows the lands around the northern site as Craighead Feu and the lands around the southern site as Craighead Farm]
Craighead 1828 SGF [settlement, see 1855 entry]
Craig Head 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [the name of a headland; also Craighead Cottage close to shore here, and a farm called Craighead at NO424283]
Sc craig + Sc heid
‘Head or end of a rock or crag’. The name probably first appears as that of a coastal feature (1703), which it is today (e.g. OS Pathf.), but in 1775 it is the name of a settlement, and in the period c.1810 × 1834 it is the name of two settlements about 300 m apart (see early forms, above). The name of the settlement of Craighead refers to its proximity to this rocky formation. The settlement of this name no longer exists, but a street on the north side of Gowrie Hill and on the northern outskirts of Newport-on-Tay is called Craighead Road.
The headland now called Craig Head seems have been called earlier *Scar Ness (Skarrness 1642 Gordon MS Fife, Scar-ness 1636 × 1652 Gordon MS 46, the Scar-ness 1636 × 1652 Gordon MS 47, Skarness 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife, Scar ness 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife). This is composed of Sc scaur ‘cliff’, and Sc ness ‘promontory, headland’. The ‘Houses called the Houses of the Scares’ FPC (1812 Sasines no. 9528) may have lain on the coast at the very west end of FPC, referring to the same feature.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4