Causewayhead FGN S NO434276 1 352 100m
Casway Head 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Causewayhead c.1810 x 1834 Tayfield Plan P43 [also Farm of Causewayhead]
Causeyhead 1825 RHP30433 [‘Plan of Causeyhead, property of R. Dalgleish of Scotscraig’]
Causewayhead 1828 SGF
Causewayhead 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc causey + Sc heid
‘Causeway head or end’. In a charter of the 1230s mention is made of a causeway (calcet<um>) west of Forgan old kirk, no doubt built to negotiate the boggy lands here. In the same charter mention is also made of the road from Inverdovat to St Andrews, although this would seem to be a different entity from the causeway (St A. Lib. 274; see FGN Intro., Medieval Forgan, for more details). However, any road leading south from Inverdovat, which is only about 300 m south-west of Causewayhead, would have had to negotiate what, before large-scale drainage operations, would have been very boggy land between Inverdovat and Roseberry Hill. Part of this road may therefore have been built up as a causeway, thus giving rise to the name.
/ˈkɔzɪ hɛd/, although now /ˈkɔzwe hɛd/ is also heard.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4