Castle Hill FGN R NO403247 1 352 40m
Castle Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
SSE castle + SSE hill
The ‘castle’ of the name is presumably a reference to nearby Newton FGN (q.v.), an important centre since at least the late thirteenth century. It may even be the site of the medieval castle or fortified residence associated with this high-status place, although there is nothing in the archaeological record to indicate this. However, Campbell (1899, 13) reports that stone coffins were found here in the late nineteenth century.
The mid-nineteenth-century OS surveyors were no better informed, since the OS Name Book describes it as follows: ‘A small eminence the surface of which is arable on the Newton farm. From the circumstance of the name there is reason to suppose that there was a fort on this eminence at some remote time but at present there is no appearance of such’ (33, 47).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4