Boulterhall FGN S NO419244 1 352 15m SWF
<B>oyterhall 1684 Adair/East Fife [the initial letter is illegible]
Bouterhall 1841 Census Record
Boulterhall 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
pn Boyter + Sc hall
‘Hall belonging to the Boyter family’. The Boyters are in evidence in this part of Fife as early as 1518, when Andrew Boyter (Boytour) is mentioned as a monk of Balmerino Abbey and David Boyter as a tenant of the same monastery (Fife Ct. Bk. 102–3), while a Henry Boyter (Boytour) of the Byres of Balmerino appears in 1569 (St A. Kirk Sess. 321). One Marion Boyter (Marioun Boytour) appears in 1574 having borne a child to Thomas Cook (Cok) (St A. Kirk Sess. 395). In 1643 Grissillis Boyter, heir of Andrew Boyter of Dundee, was retoured in the lands of Bottomcraig BMO (5 acres with pasture) in the lordship of Balmerino (Retours no. 640). Boulterhall is only about 5 km to the west of Balmerino.
Boulterhall was on the lands of, and may in fact have been an alternative name for, St Fort Nairn. A short distance west of the present house of Boulterhall are the ruins of the tomb of Alexander Nairn of St Fort, who died in 1642 in a street riot in London. It was erected in 1647 (Wickham-Jones 2001, 234).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4