Baledmond # FGN S NO4526 2
Baledmonde c.1265 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 28
Balhedmond 1503 RMS ii no. 2687 [in half barony of Naughton]
Balledmonth 1512 Laing Chrs. no. 290
(David Balfour of) Balledmonth 1536 RMS iii no. 1635
Ballodmounth c.1560 s Assumption, 14 [see Sheirsland FGN]
(David Balfour of) Balledmonth 1560 x 1577 RMS iv no. 2709
(David Balfour of) Balledinnot 1590 RPC iv, 785 [error for Balledmont]
terras de Balledmonth 1615 RMS vii no. 1321 [see discussion, below]
liberam baroniam de Balledmonth 1615 RMS vii no. 1321 [see discussion]
Balledmonthe 1642 Retours (Fife) no. 629 [James Lord St Colm (Jacobus dominus de Sanct Colme) i.e. Inchcolm, 20 s. annual rent from lands of]
Baledmont 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Baledmond 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Baledmond 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
(Andrew Balfour of) Balledmount 1663 RMS xi no. 413
Balledmonth 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1029 [Alexander earl of Moray, 20 s. annual rent from lands of Baledmond, in lordship of St Colm (Sanct Colme)]
Balleadment 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Balcadmount 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [for Baleadmount]
G baile + ? G * eud (from OG éit ) + ? G monadh
‘Farm of the cattle-hill’? This etymology is probably to be preferred to that given in Inchcolm Chrs. p. 249, baile Aidmin ‘Edmund’s stead’.
For Balmonethe 1304 × 1306 CDS ii no. 1870 as a probable reference to this place, see Inchcolm Chrs. p. 144. See also Young 1993, 197. This document is a petition by John Comyn earl of Buchan for Ralf son of Ralf de Lascelles to be treated as an idiot (one of legal incapacity due to his mental state) and for the earl of Buchan to be given ward of the idiot Ralf, and to arrange the disposal of his lands among his (Ralf’s) nearest kin.
In 1615 Sir Andrew Balfour, knight, feudal tenant of Baledmond, son of David Balfour of Baledmond, with the consent of his family sold to George Ramsay of Dalhousie (Dalhoussie) MLO and his family an extensive swathe of lands in FGN, all of which the king incorporated into the free barony of Baledmond. These lands are listed as follows: the lands of Baledmond, a carucate of the lands of Inverdovat FGN called Laverock Law, with three acres in the Floors # (lie Fluris) and a toft in the vill of Inverdovat, with common pasture in the north and south common (commonia) of Inverdovat and Slatemuir, with salmon fishing called Greenside FGN, 10 merklands of the lands of Inverdovat called *Tremblayslands FGN, other lands of Inverdovat and lands called Sheirsland # FGN, with the superiority of the lands of Cauldhame FGN, which belonged to the late Alexander Crichton of Naughton, the lands of Little Over Friarton FGN, their four parts which had belonged to the late William Crichton of Naughton as well as the fifth part which had belonged to David Lindsay of Pyeston MAI, ‘the salmon fishing of the *Greenshed on the west side of the River Tay’ (salmonum piscariam lie Greinsched super occidentalem partem aque de Tay), and the lands of Scotscraig FPC lying beside it, sheriffdom of Fife; ‘also in special warrant of these and of the kirklands of Forgan in Fife’ (necnon, in speciale warrantum earundem et terrarum ecclesiasticarum de Forgund in Fyiff), with the inseparable garbal teinds included, with fortalice, manor place, rabbit-warrens, in the regality of St Andrews, and of the lands of *Spittal-land (Spitelland), sheriffdom of Fife, his lands of St Fort, in the barony of Naughton, sheriffdom of Fife; the lands of Wormit FGN, with its mill, mill-lands, ‘salmon fishing called Long Craig’ (salmonum piscaria nuncupata Langcraig) (RMS vii no. 1321).
Baledmond lay at or near present-day Lawhouses.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4