Tayport Reading Room 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Tay + SSE port
The name was created in 1842, when the Edinburgh and Northern (later the North British) Railway Company bought the ferry rights at Ferry-Port-on-Craig and built the harbour which thenceforth occasionally came to be known as Tayport. By 1887 it had almost completely superseded the name Ferry-Port-on-Craig, so that when the town became a burgh in that year it took the name of Tayport (Groome’s Gazetteer (New Edition) under Ferry-Port-on-Craig). After this Ferry-Port-on-Craig was used only as the name of the parish.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4