Pile Lighthouse 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Referred to in 1855 as Pile Lighthouse, it was erected by the railway company c.1850 as a navigation aid (JMH). OS Name Book (32, 16) describes it as: ‘A small wooden lighthouse built on piles, and in good repair. It is situated on the South side of the Tay, and immediately below low water mark. It is managed by the light keepers of the East and West Lights.’ In a different hand is added: ‘It displays a stationary white light, and is used in connection with the ferry’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4