Canniepart 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Canniepart 1922 x 1969 OS 6 inch 3rd revision
? Sc canny + Sc pairt
Sc canny now generally means ‘cautious, careful; frugal, sparing’, but another meaning given in CSD is: ‘favourable, lucky, of good omen’, and this is more appropriate in a place-name, with reference to a favourable part or piece of land. The OS Name Book (35, 12) is no help in explaining the name.
A farm on the lands of Scotscraig near the mouth of the Scotscraig Burn, a building is marked here, but not named, on SGF (1828). The railway from Cupar to Tayport built in 1847 passed through the middle of the farm, which was discontinued; the name is still used locally to describe this area (JMH).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4