New Mills DAE S NO400150 1 363 20m
Newmyll 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land, listed between Bruckley (Burchle) LEU and Balass (Ballase) CUP]
terram de Newmyll 1471 RMS ii no. 1039 [St Andrews Church land: ‘land of New Mill’ with mills, viz Newmill (Newmyll) and *Duffcupar DAE]
New Mylne near Dersy c.1560 s Assumption, 10 [leased for £8]
Newmylne c.1560 s Assumption, 14
New Mylne c.1560 s Assumption, 10 [St Andrews Priory land, leased for £8; described as near Dairsy (Dersy); followed by Waulkmill (Walkmylne)]
Newmyll of Dersy c.1560 s Assumption, 18 [St Andrews Priory land, feued to Walter Melville (Melvill) for £11 6 s. 8 d; followed by Waulkmill of Dairsie (Walkmyll of Dersy) feued to the said Walter for £3 16 s.]
Newmill 1642 Gordon MS Fife [on north bank of Eden; note also E. Newmill to the east, on the lands of Dron LEU]
Neumill of Darsi 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Newmilnes 1654 RMS x no. 350 [see Dairsie for more details]
New mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [also E. New mill, as on Gordon MS Fife]
terris de Neumylne apud Dairsie 1691 Retours (Fife) no. 1311 [Elizabeth Lentron, ‘in lands once called kirklands of Dairsie, now called lands of Newmill at Dairsie’ (terris olim nuncupatis terris ecclesiasticis de Dairsie, nunc vocatis)]
New Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
New Mill 1845 NSA ix, 771 [owned by Mrs Bayne]
New Mill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [twice; see discussion, below]
Sc new + Sc miln
This is a somewhat confusing site, in that OS Pathf. and OS Explorer (2001) show Newmill at NO397150 and New Mills at the above NGR NO400150, c.300 m to the east. On OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856) both sites are called New Mill, but the mills themselves, a Spinning Mill (flax), a Barley Mill and a Saw Mill, are all situated at the more easterly site. Jespersen, under New Mills, mentions all three mills, adding that ‘later spinning was given up, and a flour mill installed. The barley mill was extended by a meal mill’ (1964, 244).
NMRS NO41NW 49 (NO40011503) has the following: ‘This 1780 and later 2-storey and attic, 10-bay, rubble building has a corrugated-iron roof and was formerly a flax mill. There is also a 3-storey, 4-bay building with a pantiled roof and a projecting asbestos-roofed kiln. The 6-spoke, low-breast, wood and iron paddle-wheel for the corn mill survives’ (J. R. Hume 1976).
Blaeu (Gordon) Fife (1654) shows New mill for this site, as listed above; it also shows E<ast> New Mill considerably further downstream, which probably represents Lydox Mill DAE. It appears on OS 1 inch 7th Series simply as Mills.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4