Stratheden CUP S NO347130 1 60m
Stratheden 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Although the name makes good sense linguistically and topographically as containing G srath ‘strath, broad valley’ + the river-name Eden, it seems to have been invented in the nineteenth century on the model of such names as Strathmiglo, Strathearn and Strathallan. The title Baron Stratheden of Cupar was created in 1836, initially for Mary Campbell, wife of the prominent lawyer and whig politician, Sir John Campbell, to console him for his failure to become Master of the Rolls.
OS Pathf. shows the Stratheden Hospital (the centre of which gives the above NGR) and Stratheden Cottages. The hospital was built in the 1860s as the Fife and Kinross District Lunatic Asylum, and the Stratheden Cottages were built for hospital staff.
The 1855 map shows Stratheden not as a name for a settlement, but for the river valley of the Eden, ‘extending from near Strathmiglo to Cupar’ (OS Name Book 27, 40). The only settlement on the 1855 map in the vicinity of Stratheden Hospital is at NO350127, and is marked Retreat.
/straθ'idən/ or /strəθ'idən/
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4