St Catherine’s Haugh
St Catherine’s Haugh # CUP O 1 20m
Sanct-Katherinis-hauch 1519 RMS iii no. 196 [see discussion, below]
Sanct-Katherineis-hauch 1543 RMS iii no. 2964 [4 acres of arable land called St Katherine’s Haugh on the east side of the water of Eden]
Sanct-Katheringis-hauch 1600 PSAS 47, 199 [citing an instrument of sasine of 18 July 1600]
pn St Catherine + Sc haugh
‘Haugh or riverside meadow of St Catherine’. Catherine was the patron saint of the Dominican friary of Cupar. The friars held lands on both sides of the river: in the burgh of Cupar, where St Catherine Street now runs, near the eastern gate, and St Catherine’s Haugh which is described in a charter of 1519 as opposite the friary lands in the burgh, on the east side of the river (RMS iii no. 196; see p. 265, above, for the text of the relevant parts of this charter). On St Catherine’s Haugh stood St Catherine’s Cottage, as shown on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1856), which supplies the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4