Russell Mains CUP S NO3512 1 362 35m SEF
Russellis Mylne c.1560 s Assumption, 14
villam et terras de Russellis-mylne 1593 RMS vi no. 19 [James Clephane (Clapen) in Kingask CUP; see Cupar Muir CUP]
Russellis-mylne 1594 RMS vi no. 122 [as in RMS vi no. 19]
Rusles m: 1684 Adair/East Fife [for m<ill>; marked with mill symbol]
Russels Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Reisselmiln 1792 Sasines no. 3080 [‘ ... lands of Reisselmiln with mill and mill-lands thereof, and tenement of Houses of Putmiln’ CUP]
Russel Mains 1828 SGF [and Russel Mill 1828 SGF
Russellmill Farm 1832 RHP4397
Russell Mains 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [and Russell Mill]
pn Russell + Sc mains
The farm took its name from Russell Mill, a watermill on the Eden. In 1750 the house at Russell’s Mill (sic) is described “as ‘only stone and feall [turf]’. The new tenant felt it was not only too small but dangerous, and asked for permission to build a new house ‘of stone and lime’” (Martin 2006, 89).
According to Jespersen Russell Mills (sic) was a flax mill employing 80 people in 1840, 200 in 1867, and 280 in 1935, when it was closed down (1964, 242). There was another mill a short distance downstream from Russell Mill, which appears on Ainslie/Fife (1775) as Pol Mill (possibly Pot Mill). This is presumably Putmiln mentioned in 1792 (Sasines no. 3080; see early forms, above). It is not mentioned by Jespersen, who gives Tarvit Mill as the next mill downstream from Russell Mills (loc. cit.).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4