Couston ABO S NT168851 1 40m

Colestun 1189 x 1199 Spalding Misc. v p. 243 [given to Roger de Frebern by Robert of London, along with Balmule and Montquey]
petaria de Coleistoun 1240 Inchcolm Chrs. no. 39 [peat moss of Couston]
quarter of Colsto<u>n 1384 Scottish Handwriting no. 8 [o.c.]
(William Broun of) Couston’ 1457 Dunf. Reg. no. 452
(William Broun of) Colstoun’ 1466 Dunf. Reg. no. 458
Collestoun 1480 Morton Reg. no. 190
Colstoun 1513 RMS ii no. 3840
Coilstoun 1576 RMS iv no. 2563
Cowstoun 1606 RMS vi no. 1704 [‘between the lands of Cockairnie and Couston’ (inter terras de Cowcairny et Cowstoun) part of a boundary description]
Cowston 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Coustone 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife
Couston loch 1654 Blaeu (Pont) West Fife [now Otterston Loch]
Cowstoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Micklecouston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Littlecouston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Mickle Couston 1828 SGF
Little Couston 1828 SGF

pn Col + Sc toun

‘Col’s farm’. The personal name appears (as Col) only once in Domesday Book, in Lincolnshire. It is probably of Anglo-Scandinavian origin, although there is evidence that it was also an OE name.[31] It is adjacent to another place-name in -ton containing an Anglo-Scandinavian personal name, viz Otterston DGY. Note that it is probably not the same personal name as is found in Colliston SCO.

The above NGR is of Couston Castle, beside Otterston Loch (called Couston loch on Blaeu (Pont) West Fife). The lands of Couston have been divided into Meikle and Little Couston at least since the eighteenth century, which see for more details and early forms. See also Meikle Couston for some early nineteenth-century field-names.

Although not marked on OS Pathf., the present farm of Couston is on the main road at NT169848. The buildings here post-date 1829, since they are not marked on RHP14337 of that year.

Note that by the late fourteenth century Couston formed part of the barony of Rosyth, and was divided into quarters (see William Mareschall’s charter of 1384, printed with facsimile as Scottish Handwriting no. 8; also SHS Misc. v, 32–3, 68–9).


This place-name appeared in printed volume 1