Nether Tarvit * CUP TVX S NO383140 1 35m
villa de Teruet c.1228 Barrow 1974 no. 5
Tarveht in dan 1260 Barrow 1974 no. 9
Taruetandane c.1280 Barrow 1974 no. 8
Taruetadan’ c.1290 Barrow 1974 no. 11
Tarueth in Dan 1312 NAS GD82/4 [see Tarvit CUP for details]
Nethir-Tarvat 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Nethir et Over Tarvat 1593 RMS v no. 2273 col. 4
Tervot 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Tarvit Ho. 1828 SGF
Tarvit House 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc nether + en Tarvit
The north-eastern part of the lands of Tarvit were held by the bishop of St Andrews, and the bishop’s lands were divided into upper and lower parts. The earliest references to *Nether Tarvit are in Gaelic, describing it as *Tarbhait ind Fháin, ‘Tarvit of the lower slope’, hence *Nether Tarvit in later Scots sources, in contrast to *Tarbhait an áird (Hilltarvit CUP, q.v.). For further discussion of these names, see Ó Maolalaigh 1998, 21.
The NGR given above is for Tarvit House (1856, OS 6 inch). OS Pathf. Tarvit Farm is at NO386139.
For full discussion of all the names containing Tarvit, and the contexts of all the early forms given here under *Nether Tarvit, see Tarvit CUP, TVX below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4