Kingask CUP S NO381160 1 362 85m
divisas de Kyngask 1418 NLS Adv. MS 34.6.24, pp. 440–1 [‘marches of Kingask’; see Pittencrieff CUP, discussion]
Kyngask 1495 RMS ii no. 2242 [in the lordship of Pitbladdo (Petblado) CUP]
terras de Kyngask 1552 RMS iv no. 768 [to David Grundistoun, son of Thomas burgess of Cupar, ‘with manor-place, houses, buildings and gardens]
Kingask 1595 RMS vi no. 338 [northern march of Pittencrieff CUP]
Kingask 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 261 [John Lord Lindsay]
Keangask 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
terris de Kingask 1664 Retours (Fife) no. 968 [extending ‘to a pound-land’ (ad libratam terrae ) of ancient extent]
King Ash 1753 Roy sheet 18, 2 [the erroneous Ash is presumably influenced by the nearby Foodieash (Fewdy Ash) DAE shown on this map]
Kingask 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Kingask 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G ceann + G gasg
‘Head or end of (the) tail-like formation or ridge’. The farm of Kingask is now bounded on the east side by what is known locally as The Codger’s Road (a form of Sc cadger ‘itinerant merchant, peddler’). There is also a field on Kingask beside that road known as Saltwells.
OS Pathf. also shows Kingask House at NO377162, which is the site of the more modestly named Kingask Cottage on OS 6 inch (1856).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4