Dalgairn CUP S NO373153 1 362 65m SOF
Dalyell Lodge 1828 SGF
Dalgairn 1856 OS 6 incch 1st edn
In 1788 Henry Stark purchased from Alexander Low 80 acres of the lands of Pittencrieff CUP, along with some other lands on the north side of Cupar. The imposing house, today known as Dalgairn, was built on these lands around 1790 and named Bandirran (Harley 2004, 6, Gifford 1988, 168). This name was transferred from the farm of that name in CER, which Stark probably owned: according to Harley, in 1787 Stark had purchased the estate of Teasses (2004, 6), with which the lands of Bandirran were closely connected. Stark died in 1796, and by 1800 his widow, Marjory Horsburgh, had sold Bandirran by Cupar to John Dalyell of Lingo, who renamed it Dalyell Lodge (Harley 2004, 8). In 1847 William Scott, a farmer from Scones Lethendy PER, bought Dalyell Lodge and it was given yet another name, Dalgairn, which it has retained to this day. The name was connected to his family as his first cousin was called Janet Dalgairns (Harley 2004, 16). While the new owner personalised it in the same way that Dalyell had done in 1800, he was clearly influenced by the onomastic shape of the earlier name.
OS Pathf. Dalgairn applies to Dalgairn House, with Upper Dalgairn the name of north-eastern Cupar just south of Dalgairn. The name is also found in Dalgairn Training Centre, and the street-names Upper Dalgairn and Dalgairn Crescent.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4