Clink Mill # CUP S NO3615 2
Clynkmylne 1569 RMS iv no. 1912 [lands of Kirkfield alias Clink Mill to south and north of cemetery of St Christopher; see CUP Intro., The Medieval Church]
Clinkmyln 1579 RSS v no. 2085 [the mill called Clink Mill, with the its mill-lands and acres pertaining thereto called the Kirkfield (Kirkfeild) of Cupar]
Klinkmill 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Klings Mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Clink Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Sc clink + Sc miln
The first element is probably an onomatopoeic word referring to the sound of the mill mechanism, and as such can be compared with the klick-mill, a type of mill found in Orkney which makes a distinctive sound (SND). Note, however, that the first element in Clinthill DGY (PNF 1) sometimes appears as clink (e.g. Clinkhill 1574 Inchcolm Chrs. p. 219).
It was powered by water from a mill dam still appearing (as ‘Mill Dam’) on OS 6 inch (1856) beside Springfield House (now OS Pathf. Kinloss Farm) at NO366157, about 500 m north of the site of the old parish kirk.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4