Castlefield CUP S NO376147 1
le Castelfelde 1450 RMS ii no. 402 [Lumsden]
Castellfeild de Cowper 1511 RMS ii no. 3587 [Lumsden]
le Castell feild 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 50 [10 acres of arable land, of which 4 lie in the Castlefield next to the burgh of Cupar; held by the Fouty family]
( 15 acres of) Castlefield 1614 Retours (Fife) no. 230 [barony of Airdrie CRA]
terras de Castlefeild 1663 Retours (Fife) no. 938 [John Preston of Airdrie]
Castle Field 1786 Pittencrieff Plan [shown as a field, bounded by Cupar’s Common on the south (a strip of land along Lady Burn), and ‘Road from Cupar to Woodhaven’, now known as Bishopgate, on the west]
Newton or Castlefield of Cupar 1798 Sasines no. 5206
Castlefield House 1856 OS 1st edn 6 inch [to north of St Andrews road just east of Ballas Road toll house]
Sc castle + Sc field
‘Field or enclosed piece of arable land adjacent to and/or supporting a castle’. The eponymous castle is that of Cupar. Castlefield lies immediately north of Cupar Castle, on the opposite (north) side of the Lady Burn.
It survives as the street-name Castlefield at the NGR given above, while the alternative name Newton (see 1798 Sasine) survives in the nearby street-name Newton. In discussing the expansion of the burgh into the suburbs in the later eighteenth and early nineteenth century Paula Martin writes: ‘The first feus were laid out on the property of Mr Low of Pittencrieff, immediately across the Lady Burn from the foot of Lady Wynd, and called Newton, or Lowstown’ (2006, 92).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4