Arnots Comb CUP S NO363148 2 35m
Arnotis-Kame 1488 x 1490 RMS ii no. 1962 [Alexander Fullarton (Fowlartoun) sells various lands, including Arnots Comb; see following entry]
Arnotis-Kame 1490 RMS ii no. 1961 [the king confirms to John Baxter (Baxtar) junior, burgess of Cupar, and his heirs, a third of lands of Kellylands # CUP, Muirbrecks # CUP and Arnots Comb, which the five daughters of late William Wright (Wricht) burgess of Cupar resign; see also Baltilly CER, PNF 2]
Arnadiskame 1497 RMS ii no. 2360 [one of pertinents of Porterland # CUP]
Arnottiska<m>e 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 92 [printed Arnottiskaine; Nicholas Baxter in two ninths of lands of Baltilly (Batulie) CER, two ninths of lands of Kingarroch CER; lands near Bondfield # CUP and Moat Hill in burgh of Cupar; two thirds of lands called Muirbrecks # CUP and Arnot’s Comb, etc.]
Arnottiskemb 1608 RMS vi no. 2157 [Nicholas Baxter, burgess of Cupar]
Arnaldskeane 1618 Retours (Fife) no. 278 [for Arnaldskeme or similar]
Arnoldskem 1625 RMS viii no. 810
Arnotscomb 1781 Sasines no. 61 [part of barony of Carslogie MML in CUP]
Arnots Comb T.P. 1855 6 inch 1st edn
pn Arnot + Sc kame
‘Ridge or long steep-sided (comb-like) hill of or associated with a person or family called Arnot’. It may have originally been a western extension or outlier of the *Kame Hill, which seems to be another name for the Moat Hill CUP, q.v.
The personal name Arnot derives from the lands of Arnot, Portmoak KNR, FIF (Black 1946, 31), and became fairly common in Fife in the later middle ages.
The NGR and the form of the name are from OS 1st edn 6 inch, though in this map the name applies to a tollbar or turnpike (‘T.P.’), which might or might not be the site of the older place of that name. A turnpike could be named after a place some distance away: for example, on the same map the Clushford Toll turnpike is 700 m from Clushford CUP (q.v.).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4