Walton BUI S NT216865 1 85m

Weltoune 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 429
(lands of) Weltoun 1588 RMS v nos.1430 & 1476 [with mill]
(lands of) Weltoun 1594 RMS vii no. 75 [with mill]
Weltoun alias Newbigging 1626 Retours (Fife) no. 377
Waltoun alias Newbiging de Westir-Kinghorne 1636 RMS ix no. 612
Walton 1828 SGF

Sc wall + Sc toun

‘Well farm’. It was a subdivision of Dunfermline Abbey’s lands of Kinghorn Wester. Newbigging was the name given to a new mansion-house which must have been built on the lands of Walton before the second half of the sixteenth century, since the earliest record of the name ‘Newbigging’ is from 1555 × 1583 (see Newbigging above). Parts of this building are incorporated into the present house at Newbigging. The nearby home-farm retained the earlier name of Walton, and it appears as such on all large-scale OS maps until the OS Pathf. omitted its name. It may have originally been called Kilmundy q.v.


This place-name appeared in printed volume 1