Emily Hill CRC R NO323198 1 362 154m
Emily Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn Emily + SSE hill
It was common practice in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries for land-owners to re-name features on their land after female members of their family, and this is very probably the case here; for other examples, see Anfield DFL (PNF 1), and Annefield KTT and Barbarafield CER (PNF 2). Emily Hill is on the estate of Carphin CRC, and the family to whom Emily belonged was probably that of the Baillies (see Carphin CRC, above). OS Name Book (42, 16 and 19) gives no clue to the identity of the eponymous Emily. On the south-west slope of Emily Hill is OS Pathf. Emily Wood. OS 6 inch 1st edn shows both these features, as well as Emily Cottage to the south of Emily Wood, the OS Name Book stating that it was occupied by the forester of Carphin, the owner of the estate at the time (early 1850s) being David Cook Esq. (42, 19).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4