Carphin CRC S NO319196 1 362 90m
Kirfin 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Carphin 1816 Sasines no. 11,101 [‘West Farm of Luthrie commonly called’]
Carphin 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Carphin 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
The name is transferred from Carfin LAN. The Baillies of Balmeadowside and Parbroath acquired the lands of Luthrie from George Kinloch c.1680. The Baillies were a branch of the Baillies of Carfin in Lanarkshire, and ‘probably the name was given to the Fifeshire estate to commemorate this connection. The last of the Baillies of Luthrie died in 1814’ (Millar 1895 ii, 331).
OS Pathf. marks both Carphin and Carphin Farm NO318197.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4