Starley Burn ~ BUI W NT214859 1 0m
Starley Burn Harbour 1828 Knox/Forth Basin [misplaced at Aberdour]
Starley Burn 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also Starleyburn; see discussion]
The derivation of Starley is not at all clear. If it is a compound containing Sc lea ‘tilled ground now pasture, open grassland’, the first element may be Sc star ‘sedge, bent or other coarse grass’, possibly also ‘land covered with sedges, etc.; marshy ground’ (DOST). Alternatively, it may be Sc star(e), starr ‘starling’ (DOST).
OS Name Book under Starleyburn has: ‘A few cottages and gardens and a small Harbourused for shipping Limestonefrom the different Lime Quarries in the vicinity’ (134, 64); and under the burn-name Starley Burn it has: ‘A small stream issuing near the Nine Lumsand flowing into the Harbour at Starleyburn. It gives the latter name to the cottages and Harbour that bear it’ (134, 68). These are the only Starley-names in OS Name Books.
The ‘small habour’ of Starleyburn is now extremely dilapidated. It lies at the above NGR a short distance west of the small still functioning harbour shown on modern OS maps simply as ‘Harbour’, and on OS 6 inch 1st edn as Carron Harbour, a ‘small Harbour in the Firth of Forth at Starleyburn frequented by small Vessels for the Conveyance of Limestone for the Carron Iron WorksCo.’ (OS Name Book 135, 47).
The Starley Burn is also known as the Petrifying Stream on account of its high lime-content, which gives any objects placed in it a hard, stone-like crust.
It has also given rise to the OS Pathf. house-name Starley Hall(NT212859).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1