Pitlair CLS S NO319120 1 362 45m
Petlair 1478 x 1479 RMS ii no. 1414 [John Sandilands, see *Millhill CLS]
Petlair 1509 RMS ii no. 3363 [Pitlair with its mill, presumably Daftmill]
(barony of) Petlair 1540 RMS iii no. 2168 [see discussion]
Pittlair 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Pitlair 1653 RMS x no. 183 [pertaining to George Lord Melvill]
Pitlave 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Pitblain 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitlair 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G pett + ? G làr or ? G làir
‘Land-holding of (the) low ground’, probably containing G làr (m.), gen. sing. làir, which in modern Gaelic means ‘ground’ or ‘floor’. It can also mean ‘low ground’ (Dwelly), which aptly describes its position on the relatively level gravelly soil on the northern edge of the Howe of Fife.
Another interpretation of the specific element is G làir ‘mare’, and in fact part of the flat muir and moss to the south of Pitlair was called Mungrey # (later Minnie’s Green KTT, PNF 2), probably Gaelic mòine greigh(e) ‘horse-stud moss’, indicating significant horse-rearing activity in this part of Fife.
The free barony of Pitlair, which was created by royal charter in 1540 in favour of the Sandilands of Cruivie LOG, consisted of lands in FIF and PER (as well as modern KNR): half the lands of Bracklinn (Brokland) in Menteith, sheriffdom of Perth, Weddersbie CLS, half of Cruivie, Newton of Collessie, Gadwell (Caldwells CLS or Gadden CLS), Bowhouse CLS, Shiells CLS, with tenants etc, the lands of Kirkton of Collessie, *Millhill CLS and Pitlochie # CLS, with their mill, the lands of Pitlair with the mill, Drumclop # MML and half of Wester Cleish KNR, FIF, with tenants etc (RMS iii no. 2168).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4