Gask Hill CLS R NO287131 1 60m
Gask-hill 1836 NSA ix, 28 [‘a mound consisting of a cairn of stones. It is about twelve feet above the level of the ground’]
Gaskhill 1840 Leighton 1840 ii, 109 [described as a tumulus, ‘vulgarly believed to have been a Roman station, although its having been a place of sepulture is so abundantly obvious’]
Gask Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [marked in Gothic script as ‘Tumulus’]
Gask Hill 1948 x 1977 OS 6 inch Imperial edn [in Gothic script as ‘Cairn’]
en Gask + Sc or SSE hill
The en Gask derives from Gaelic gasg ‘(tail-like) ridge’, and presumably applied originally to the ridge on whose south-east end stands the farm-steading of Newton. An explanatory hill was added in the Scots- or SSE-speaking period, which then became part of the name. However, from its earliest appearance in the record, Gask Hill refers specifically to the large prehistoric burial cairn, excavated in 1876–7 (NMRS NO21SE 14), situated in the middle of this ridge.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4