Edenstown CLS S NO292100 1 362 45m
Edenstown 1828 SGF
Edenstown 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Eden + SSE town
According to Gillin and Reid (1979, 16), Edenstown, along with Giffordtown CLS and Monkstown CLS, was built after the draining of Rossie Loch and the dispersal of the village of Kinloch, which took place in 1805–6. It lies in the middle of a tract of moorland once known as Edens Muir (for which see preceding entry), and it is from this that it takes its name, rather than directly from the River Eden, which flows a mile to the south.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4