Charlottetown CLS S NO292107 1 362 45m
Charlton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Charlton 1897 OS 1 inch 2nd edn
pn Charlotte + Sc toun or SSE town
Named after Charlotte Paterson, who held the land here in the mid-nineteenth century, the hamlet and the name came into existence when the Giffordtown Free Kirk was built in 1843. For full details, see Calley , 34. OS Name Book (13, 38), describing the place in the early 1850s, states that it was tenanted by Thomas Paterson, the property of Charles Kinnear Esq. of Kinloch CLS, which might account for Charlton-forms.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4