Scurr BMO S NO369251 1 90m
( 6 acres of lands of) Skuirbank 1595 RMS vi no. 386 [in barony of Balmerino, formerly part of the temporality of Balmerino Abbey]
Skurbank 1574 x 1603 Campbell 1899, 616 [6 acres set to Thomas Fender; another six acres set to Tullois (sic; presumably the surname Tullis)]
Skuro (vel Skur) 1601 RMS vi no. 1217 [in barony of Naughton BMO, q.v.]
Skur 1602 NAS C2/43 no. 184 [printed as RMS vi no. 1323; the cottars of Scurr; see Dochrone # BMO for more details]
Skrine 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [as editor suggests, probably in error for Skure]
Skryne 1614 RMS vii no. 1115 [see preceding]
5 aikers of Skur 1631 Campbell 1899, 629
Skur 1694 Campbell 1899, 633 [see Scrogieside BMO]
Scurr Hill 1845 NSA ix, 578
Scurr 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [a house with a well; also shows Scurr Hill]
‘Precipice or steep, eroded hill’; this occurs in several Fife place-names variously as Scaur, Scores, Scars (see Elements Glossary, PNF 5, s.v.).
The NGR given above is for Scurr as shown on the 1855 map, described by OS Name Book as ‘a small farm-house ... the property of Duncan Morrison Esq. Naughton’ (33, 19). OS Pathf. shows only Scurr Wood and Scurr Hill (84 m), on which the wood is planted.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4