Pitmossie BMO F NO376226 2 60m
Petmossie 1574 x 1603 NLS Adv. MS 31.3.14, fo 67v [printed Pitmossie in Campbell 1899, 617; set to Bane (Bayn); rental of Balmerino Abbey]
Pitmossie 1596 Campbell 1899, 621
Pitmossy 1603 RMS vi no. 1411
Petmossy 1614 RMS vii no. 1115
Pitmossie 1630 Campbell 1899, 626 [William Bane of Pitmossie]
Pitmosse 1684 Adair/East Fife
Pitmossie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitmossie 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Pitmossie 1828 SGF
Pitmossie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G pett + ? G mosach
‘Dirty, nasty farm’? (G mosach ‘dirty, filthy, stinking; nasty’). It is unusual to find a settlement-name of such long-standing with such a negative specific element, and it may be that a different word with a similar phonetic structure has been assimilated to Sc mossie, an adjective from Sc moss ‘moss, bog’. Pitmossie formed part of the lands of Balmerino Abbey, later being acquired by the Naughton Estate. The lands of Pitmossie occupied the southernmost corner of BMO. Campbell states that it was deserted by the mid nineteenth century (1899, 41). He also gives a full history of ownership from the sixteenth century, recording that the last owner was one William Ferguson in 1836, when it extended to 24 acres (ibid. 668). It now forms part of the farm of Fincraigs.
Two fields, Upper Pitmossie and Lower Pitmossie, are now farmed by Naughton. The NGR given above is for the centre-point of these two fields.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4