Doll # BMO S NO358222 1
Dolle 1268 Balm. Lib. no. 56 [‘as far as the burn on the side of Doll’ (usque ad rivulum ex parte Dolle); for details see BMO Intro., Medieval Marches]
Nether Doll 1775 Ainslie/Fife [wrongly shown in KLM]
Upper Doll 1775 Ainslie/Fife [wrongly shown in KLM]
Dolls 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [parish unclear]
Dolle 1899 Campbell 1899 [fold-out map of BMO ‘reduced from the Ordnance Survey’; but Dolle probably added by Campbell]
Dolle, Doll or Doal Campbell 1899 , 641 [described as ‘south-west of Grange, near the boundary of the Parish’]
‘Water-meadow, haugh’ (borrowed into Gaelic as dail). It no doubt took its name from the flat lands around the Motray Water south-west of Ballindean BMO.
The Sc or SSE plural of the later forms refers to the division into Nether and Upper Doll, as seen for example on Ainslie/Fife (1775).
Its last inhabitant, William Bell, left at Martinmas 1842 (Campbell 1899, 641).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4