Craigingrugie’s Fauld # BMO S NO3524 2
e epta lie fauld vocat. Cragingurs-fauld 1569 x 1572 RMS iv no. 2102 [probably an error for Cragingurg(s)-fauld; ‘outfield of Byres (Outfeild de Byris), except the fauld called Craigingrugie’s Fauld’ formerly occupied by Andrew Wilson (Wilsoun), then by Christine Braid (Breid) his spouse]
Craigingrugisfauld 1574 x 1603 Campbell 1899, 617
Cragingrugisfauld 1602 RMS vi no. 1323 [for marches, see discussion below]
Cragingrugis fauld 1602 RMS vi no. 1323
Craigingurfauld 1631 RMS viii no. 1723
Craigingrousfauld 1631 RMS viii no. 1723
Craigingrugie’s Fauld 1899 Campbell 1899, 642
pn or en Craigingrugie + Sc fauld
Sc fauld ‘an enclosed piece of ground, a small field (Sc fauld) of a person or family called Craigingrugie or the like; or in or beside a place called Craigingrugie.’ If a personal name (and there is nothing which even remotely resembles this in Black 1946), then it would derive from a place-name. The place-name itself, whether generated here as such, or elsewhere, then imported as a personal name, almost certainly comprises G creag + an ‘rock or crag’ + ‘the’ (in genitive); the specific element may be gruagach ‘maiden’, which itself contains G gruag ‘hair’ (for full range of meanings see Dwelly s.vv.).
In 1602 all the lands of Craigingrugie’s Fauld, with houses, buildings etc., were described as ‘lying between the lands once occupied by David Ramsay to the east, the outfield of Byres to the south, the lands of outfield of Byres and Wattiesfauld # to the west, and the mill-lead (of Balmerino Mill) to the north’ (NAS C2/43 no. 184).
‘Park, Poyntok and Craigingrugie’s Fauld were the same as that afterwards called Demmings or Demmins, which till c.1860 was a separate farm’. It is now located in the Outfield of Byres (Campbell 1899, 642), hence the above NGR.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4