Bridiis Wel 1328 x 1332 Balm. Lib. no. 51 [BMO Intro., Medieval Marches]
Bridie’s Well 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
Bridie’s Well 1948 x 1976 OS 6 inch Imperial edn
pn Bride + Sc wall
‘(St) Brigit’s Well’. For the ecclesiastical and territorial significance of this name, see BMO Intro., Coultra and Abernethy, above. The well has now disappeared, but the name survives in Bridieswell Gardens, a street at the south-east end of The Gauldry. The well stood in what is now the garden of a house at the corner of Bridieswell Gardens and Balgove Road. It was visited by RCAHMS in 1956 and found to be in the form of an ‘earth mound with a wooden inspection doorway in the south face’, but by June 1970 it had been covered over and the water piped away (NMRS NO32SE 12).
The above NGR is of the well as shown on earlier maps.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4