Ardie BMO S NO355225 2
Esterardint 1215 x 1225 Balm. Lib. no. 3 [summarised RRS ii no. 573; Alexander II’s confirmation to Richard Ravel; see Coultra BMO]
terra de Ardint 1225 Balm. Lib. no. 4 [see BMO Intro.]
(lands of) Ardin 1225 Balm. Lib. no. 5 [same day as Balm. Lib. no. 4: agreement between Ermengard and Adam de Stawell, whereby latter resigns all rights to lands of Coultra, Balmerino and Ardie in exchange for 1,000 merks]
Ardin 1226 Balm. Lib. no. 6
Ardie Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Airdie Hill 1899 Campbell 1899, 58
G àrd + ? OG dind or ? – in
‘High place?; high (fortified) hill; high noble place; high mansion’? While the first element is relatively straightforward (G àrd ‘high’, or the associated noun àird ‘height’), the second element is more of a problem. Were it not for two early forms of the name ending in t, I would have no hesitation in seeing this as the common locational suffix –in ‘place of, place at’, which regularly becomes reduced to –ie/–y by around 1300. However, assuming that the two –dint forms are not simply copying errors (bearing in mind that Balm. Lib. is a fourteenth-century transumpt or copy of earlier texts), then an alternative explanation has to be sought, and OG dind ‘noble or lofty place’ offers one possibility.
The lands of Ardie may have comprised the lands of Grange BMO (formerly *Ballindard) and Ballindean BMO, with Ballindean referred to as Easter Ardie 1215 × 1225 (Balm. Lib. no. 3), with the Sc affix easter. Although not used to refer to these lands after 1225, the name is still found in Ardie Hill (60 m), which supplies the above NGR.
Campbell speculates that the lands of Ardie ‘probably extended from the stream which passes the farm-house of Grange to another which forms the south-west boundary of that farm’ (1899, 58). However, if it is the case that the lands of Ardie originally included Grange and Ballindean, then they were clearly much more extensive than Campbell supposed.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4