Happy Hill # AMY S NO2412 3
lie Happirhill 1609 RMS vii no. 191 [5 rigs in the shed (division) called Happy Hill, ‘which were one of the 3 thirds of the manured land’ (que fuerunt ane of the thrie thriddis of the muckit land)]
lie Happyhill 1616 RMS vii no. 1397 [‘part of the *Buistslands called the Happy Hill’ (partem de lie Buistis-pundland lie Happyhill nuncupatam)]
the Happyhill 1799 Sasines no. 5475 [‘park of land called the Happy Hill ... lying to the east of Auchtermuchty near to Rossieden’]
Happyhill 1815 Sasines no. 10538
? + Sc hill
The earliest form suggests that the first element is Sc happer, a variant of Sc hopper ‘hopper (of a mill); basket in which sower carries seed’ (DOST), perhaps referring to the shape of the hill. If this is the case, then it was assimilated to Sc happy ‘lucky, successful’. Compare also Happy Hill # CUP, below.
The NGR is based on the fact that it lay near Rossie Den, which forms part of the AMY/CLS boundary by Wester Rossie (see 1799 Sasines no. 5475, above).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4