Clameduff 1819 Sasines no. 12692 [‘parts of the Hill of Auchtermuchty now called Clameduff and the dwelling-house thereon’]
Clammieduff 1827 Watson 1995, 41 [a settlement]
Clammyduff 1828 SGF
Clamieduff Hill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [FIF]
Clamieduff 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [FIF; a steading near north-west corner of the body of water called by OS 1856 ‘Mill Dam’]
en Clamieduff + Sc hill
The name Clamieduff probably contains G clann followed by Macduff, the kindred of the earls of Fife (Clenmcduffe RPS 1384/11/12). It lies on the border of FIF and PER, and, with Macduff’s Cross NBH and Macduffs Cairn, defines either the north-west boundary of the earl of Fife’s lands, or the east boundary of the Macduff lands of Abernethy (see Macduff’s Cross NBH, below).
This derivation is to be preferred to that proposed by Angus Watson, who suggests that it contains Sc clamm ‘damp, clammy’ and Sc duff ‘bog’, connecting it with nearby St Serf’s Peat Myre (1995, 41). However, both these elements are very rare, if not unknown, in Scottish place-names, and, besides, an adjective meaning ‘damp’ qualifying ‘bog’ would be unusual.
On OS 6 inch 1st edn map (1856) Clamieduff is shown as a settlement at NO203135 south-east of Clamieduff Hill, and very near to the north-west shore of the body of water marked Mill Dam. This body of very shallow, muddy water is still known locally as Clamieduff. The settlement had disappeared by OS 1st revision (1888 × 1914). It is described by OS Name Book as follows: ‘Two cottage dwellings one storey high and thatched, with a small garden attached and occupied by some of the hinds [farm-workers] employed on the farm of Newhill. It is the property of Mr Skene of Pitlour’ (50, 25).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4