Parkhill ABE S NO246186 1 362

    terras de Parkhill 1451 Lind. Lib. p. 19
    terras de Perkhill 1451 RMS ii no. 445 [see Earnside ABE]
    terras de Parkhill 1451 RMS ii no. 500 [see Earnside ABE]
    de firmis terrarum de Parkhill 1451 ER v, 470 [33 s. 4 d. from fermes]
    terras de Parkhill 1527 RMS iii no. 421 [see Earnside ABE]
    terras de Parkhill 1538 RMS iii no. 1755 [James V feus to John Leslie rector of Kynnore brother of George earl of Rothes ‘lands of Parkhill with their meadow and apple orchard’ (cum prato et pomerio earundem)]
    Parkhill 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B
    Parkhill 1600 RMS vi no. 1032 [in barony of Grange of Lindores]
    Park hill 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Parkhill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Parkhills 1775 Ainslie/Fife [OS Pathf. Old Parkhill; Newmill at OS Pathf. Parkhill]
    Parkhill 1828 SGF [as on Ainslie/Fife]
    Parkhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [at OS Pathf. Parkhill; OS Pathf. Old Parkhill shown but not named]
    Park Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [the slope east of OS Pathf. Old Parkhill]

Sc park + Sc hill

‘Hill associated with a park’ i.e. land enclosed or emparked for the purposes of creating a hunting reserve. It was in fact royal hunting land (see for example 1451 RMS ii no. 445). The hunting reserve itself was the wood of Earnside ABE, q.v. Parkhill is now the name of the farm beside Lindores Abbey ruins. The earlier site of the settlement was at OS Pathf. Old Parkhill (NO249183). The hill now known as OS Pathf. Park Hill (which first occurs as such in 1855 on OS 6 inch 1st edn) represents only the western part of the original hunting reserve.

    OS Pathf. also shows Parkhill House. On various late eighteenth and early nineteenth-century maps OS Pathf. Old Parkhill is shown simply as Parkhill(s), while OS Pathf. Parkhill is Newmill. OS 6 inch 1st edn shows ‘New Mill (Barley)’ beside a big farm-steading which it calls Parkhill (as on modern maps).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4