Lochend # ABE S NO275162 2 75m
(John Beverage tenant in) the Louhend of Woddmylne or Frierland 1685 St A. Tests. 38 [Lochend of Woodmill or Freeland # (Frierland in error for Frieland)]
Lochend 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Lochend Mains 1827 Ainslie/East Fife [roughly where Cairneyhall is today; the map shows Cairnyhall c.800 m to the south-east of OS Pathf. Cairneyhall, due west of Whitefield]
Lochend 1828 SGF
Sc loch + Sc end
‘Place at the end of the loch’. Neither Ainslie/Fife nor SGF show it at the end of Lindores Loch, but about 500 m to the north-east. It appears that either the name moved to this location from a site at the end of that loch, at or near OS Pathf. Cairneyhall, which is called Lochend Mains on Ainslie/ East Fife (1827); or that the eponymous loch of Lochend refers to the low-lying and marshy flood-plain running north-east from Lochend, now partly drained by the canalisation of the burn which forms the main tributary of the Fernie Burn, as well as the eastern march of the lands of Inchrye ABE (q.v.).
From the position of Lochend on SGF (1828) it would seem to have been re-named Parkneuk, appearing as such on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855), and is described by OS Name Book as ‘a row of cottages at the south east end of Inchrye demesne occupied by farm labourers and their families’, and belonging to David Wilson (of Inchrye) (52, 10).
Laing states that the older name for Lochend is Freeland #ABE (q.v. above), which is confirmed by the earliest form (1685, reading Frieland for Frierland). This earliest form also shows that at this time at least part of the lands of Lochend belonged to Woodmill ABE.
The NGR given above is from SGF (1828), which also shows Cairneyhall (Cairniehall) in its present position, to the south of Lochend.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4