St Bride’s Well
Sanctbrydis Well 1544 NAS C2/29 no. 188 [= RMS iii no. 3017, but the march of Lumquhat Mill is not reproduced in the edition; see Lumquhat Mill CLS]
Brydswall 1591 RMS v no. 1946 [part of the march of Whitefield AMY]
Brydswall 1653 RMS x no. 183 col. 4 [see Lumquhat Mill CLS]
Sc sanct + pn Bride + Sc wall
‘Well or spring of St Brigit’. The NGR given above is inferred from its occurrence in boundary descriptions of the lands of Lumquhat Mill CLS and Whitefield AMY, and also from the fact that it lay on the boundary between those two parishes and the lands of Easter Colzie NBH, formerly ANY.
This last aspect of the well’s position is significant because the church of Abernethy ANY was dedicated to St Bride or Brigit, and the position of St Bride’s Well on the south-eastern parish boundary of ANY suggests that it acquired this name because it marked the boundary of St Brigit’s territory. For another instance of the use of St Brigit’s name to mark Abernethy territory, see Bridie’s Well BMO, below, which is at the eastern extremity of the lands held by Abernethy in the late twelfth century.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4