Lyndoburne 1539 RMS iii no. 2028 [‘on the north side of Shanwell’ (apud borealem partem de Schanwell); see FPC Intro., Fishings]
Lindow Burne 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Lundin Burn 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
en Lindow + Sc burn
The derivation of the first element is not clear, but it may be related to Sc lind ‘lime tree, linden’. It also appears in the related Lindoischot (1575 RMS iv no. 2529), Lindoschott (1648 Retours no. 759), Lindoshott (1666 Retours no. 989) and Landshot (1878 Sasines no. 3003), the name of fishings associated with the outfall of the Lundin Burn (Sc shott ‘discharge, flow’ CSD).
It is probably coincidence that in 1546 Walter Lundie of that ilk (probably Lundin LAR) is granted in feu the Dunfermline Abbey lands of Shanwell FPC, the western march of which is formed by the Lundin Burn (Dunf. Reg. no. 562). However, earlier *Lindow does seem to have become assimilated to Lundin.
The burn flows northwards from near Leuchars kirk, forming part of the parish boundaries between FGN and LEU, and FGN and FPC. It has been much altered by the draining of this area, for details of which see LEU Intro.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4