Culesin 1208 x 1210 Swinton 1905, 174–5 (no. 3) [o.c.; facsimile Swinton 1905, opposite p. 176; date from royal confirmation charter (see next entry); Walter Olifard son of Walter Olifard grants to Alan son of Alan son of Gospatrick of Swinton (Alano filio Alani filii Cospatricii de Svinton’) and his heirs Colzie, by its right marches, and land of Abernethy in fee and heritage]
    Culesin 1208 x 1210 RRS ii no. 484 [o.c.; = Swinton 1905, 175 (no. 2); royal confirmation of Swinton 1905, 174–5 (no. 3); endorsed Cullessi in 16th c.]
    (third of) Ester Coilsy 1511 RMS ii no. 3662 [barony of Ballinbreich FLK]
    Colsye 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 93
    (third of) Coilsee 1541 RMS iii no. 2290 [barony of Ballinbreich]
    Colse 1564 RMS iv no. 1545 [one of (mainly Fife) lands granted to Andrew earl of Rothes along with barony of Ballinbreich; presumably Easter Colzie]
    prebendarium de Colsy 1577 RMS iv no. 2737 [George Douglas ‘prebendary of Colzie’ and Balmanno (Balmanno), Dron PER and Archibald Jardane prebendary of Colzie (Colsy); members of collegiate church of Abernethy]
    terras de Coilliessay (vel Cowissay) 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [in barony of Pitgorno, incorporated into barony of Balmerino; presumably Easter Colzie]
    E Colsy 1642 Gordon MS Fife [sic; E. Colsey 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife]
    W Colsey 1642 Gordon MS Fife [also 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife]
    Eister Colsie 1643 RMS ix no. 1426 [Lochmill NBH etc., with astrict multures of the touns and lands of Nether and Over Pitgrunzie (Nethir and Over Pitgrugnies) ANY and a third of East Colzie; see Lochmill NBH, below]
    E. Colsey 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    W. Colsey 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Easter Colsey 1775 Ainslie/Fife [see Easter Colzie NBH]
    W. Colsey 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown just over border in ANY PER]
    Calsie 1783 Stobie [the only Colzie: OS Pathf. Wester Colzie or North Colzie]
    Colzie Smithy 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    Easter Colzie 1868 OS 1 inch 1st edn
    North Colzie 1868 OS 1 inch 1st edn
    Wester Colzie 1868 OS 1 inch 1st edn
    Colzie 1957 OS 1 inch 7th Series [= OS Pathf. North Colzie]

The etymology is discussed under Collessie CLS, below. Originally all the Colzies were in ANY PER except for Easter Colzie, which was in ANY FIF until transferred to NBH FIF in 1891 (Shennan 1892, 198).[2] G. W. S. Barrow suggests that the ‘land of Abernethy’ (terra de Abernithin) granted by Walter Oliphant (Olifard’) to Alan of Swinton was ‘probably now Easter Colzie’, while Culesin referred to the other Colzies (RRS ii no. 484). However, I think it is more likely that Culesin here includes all the Colzies.

    Colzie seems to have been the name of the territory occupying all the south-east corner of ANY, in which were situated Raemore and Pitmedden, and probably also Pitcairlie NBH. The earliest form is identical to early forms of Collessie, and in fact Colzie may originally have been a western extension of the territory, later the parish, of Collessie: the lands of Easter Colzie march with CLS (see Map 11 and CLS Intro., Collessie, Colzie and Colethin).

    The above NGR is of North Colzie, which lies roughly half way between Easter and Wester Colzie, and is shown simply as Colzie on OS 1 inch 7th series. OS Pathf. has Easter Colzie, with Colzie Cottage, Colzie Hill and Colzie Wood nearby; also North Colzie and South Colzie adjacent to one another, and Wester Colzie. Note that none of the Colzies appears on Roy’s map.


This place-name appeared in printed volume 4