Sandyrigs SMS S NO511029 1 25m
Joanni Broun in Sandriggis 1612 x 1616 RMS vii no. 1373 [Thomas Abercrombie to John Brown in Sandyrigs]
tenementum in villa de Sandriggis 1612 x 1616 RMS vii no. 1373 [see under discussion below for several minor names in Sandyrigs]
Sandrigis 1617 RMS vii no. 1781 [lands and vills of Stenton (Stentoun) SMS and Sandyrigs in the barony of Abercrombie (Abircrombie)]
Sandridg 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Sandridge 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Sandrigs 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Sand Rigs 1775 Ainslie/Fife [shown at site of OS Pathf. Stenton, while Stenton is shown to north-west at c.NO509032 and (wrongly) in KCQ
Sandriggs 1828 SGF
Sandriggs 1828 SGF [shown at the site of OS Pathf. Stenton, while Stenton is shown to north-west, at c.NO509032]
Sandyrigs 1850s OS Name Book 80, 23
Sandyrigs Wood 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc sand + Sc rig
‘Sand rigs or ridges’, with reference to the sandy soil. The first element, the noun sand, first appears as the adjective sandy in the mid-nineteenth century.
In 1612 Thomas Abercrombie (Abircrumbie) of that ilk sold to John Brown (Broun) in Sandyrigs (Sandriggis) a tenement with a barn and with the garden of the barn of the same, and with a flax garden belonging to the same, in the vill of Sandyrigs, 5 arable acres (occupied by the said John) lying as runrig amongst the rest of the lands of Sandyrigs, with the privilege of common pasture either in the Lochs or in the Laws, and in the Lache (probably for Sc laigh ‘low, low-lying land’) lying on the west side of the bridge of Stenton. The bridge of Stenton presumably crossed the St Monance Burn into what is now KCQ. This charter is confirmed by the king in 1616 (RMS vii no. 1373). A footnote in the printed version states that the charter names the adjoining occupiers, adding that the lands (presumably the rest of the lands of Sandyrigs amongst which the above-mentioned runrig was dispersed) lay in *Gallowshed (Gallousched), that is the shed (division of land) of the gallows; Barkhoillsched (first element unclear, though it might be a transcription error for bank; hoillsched refers to a shed of land lying in a holl or howe (hollow); *Thorterlands (Thorterlandis), that is lands lying across or athwart, and Bank.
The maps show some confusion between Sandyrigs and Stenton SMS. Ainslie/Fife (1775) and SGF (1828) show Sand Rigs and Sandriggs respectively at the site of OS Pathf. Stenton (NO511029). These two maps also show Stenton to the north-west of this site, at about NO509032. At that NGR OS 6 inch (1855) shows an un-named ruined building, about 300m north-east of OS Pathf. Sandyrigs Wood. The confusion may be partly explained by the fact that, at least by the mid-nineteenth century and perhaps a good deal earlier, the farm of Sandyrigs was annexed to the farm of Stenton, both owned by Sir R. Anstruther of Balcaskie House (OS Name Book 80, 23).
OS Pathf. shows Sandyrigs Wood, but not Sandyrigs.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3