Scoonie SSL S NO5014 2
Sconin 1140 St A. Lib. 122 [Bp Robert to St Andrews Priory]
Sconin 1160 St A. Lib. 206 [= RRS i no. 174]
Sconin 1160 x 1162 St A. Lib. 131
SconiN 1165 x 1169 RRS ii no. 28 [o.c.]
terra que dicitur Sconin 1183 St A. Lib. 58 [‘the land which is called Scoonie’; attached to the Hospital of St Andrew; see SSL Introduction, St Leonards]
Sconin 1199 x 1209 St A. Lib. 329 [see discussion below]
Sconin 1202 x 1207 Barrow 1974 no. 4 [o.c.; Walter of Roxburgh junior, nephew and namesake of the former archdeacon of St Andrews, quitclaims to Ranulf archdeacon of St Andrews (1199–1209) Scoonie(hill) SSL and Balkaithly DNO and land on the south side of the town of St Andrews (urbis Sancti Andree), all of which had belonged to the archdeaconate, but which he (Walter) had wrongly appropriated; see also under St Andrews, above]
Sconin c.1220 Terrier C [17/18th c. copy; part of the Boar’s Raik]
Pictish * scon or G sgonn + – in
‘Place of the (lump-like) hill’. For discussion of a possible Pictish origin for this name, see Elements Glossary (PNF 5) under sgonn. Scoonie (parish) FIF (PNF 2) contains the same element, with the same locational suffix –in, and is written in exactly the same way in early documents. Scone PER contains the same word, but without the suffix. If this derivation is correct, then the eponymous sgonn and the later Sc element hill of Scooniehill SSL must be the long and conspicuous ridge to the south of St Andrews.
At some time before the end of the twelfth century, the canons had exchanged (their part of) Scoonie for (part of) Garried # SSL (Gariad) with Gellin son of Gillechrìosd mac Cussegerri (Gellin filium Gillecrist Maccussegerri), who was no doubt one of the Culdees of St Andrews; however in 1199 × 1209 the canons reasserted their right to Scoonie when Gellin quitclaimed all right he had in both Scoonie and Garried # in exchange for the right to carry the great shrine of St Andrew (Morbrac), as well as to have food and clothing, just as Gillemhuire (Gilmur) had done, and for a chalder of oatmeal a year for as long as he lived (St A. Lib. 329). See also discussion under *Nevethy-endoreth SSL, above.
It would seem that the lands of Scoonie(hill) were divided into two parts at an early date, since, while one part is mentioned in the list of the lands making up the original group of lands in the Boar’s Raik forming the core donation by Bishop Robert (see for example St A. Lib. 122), another part belonged to the archdiaconate of St Andrews (see Barrow 1974 no. 4). It can be assumed that the priory obtained the archdeacon’s part of Scoonie in the general agreement it made with the archdeacon in 1212 (St A. Lib. 315–16).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3