Pitmilly Meadow # SSL F NO501154 2
lie Petmillie-medow 1592 RMS v no. 2151 [to Duncan Balfour, one of the bailiffs of the city of St Andrews, seven acres of the lands called the Pitmilly Meadow, including garbal teinds; see also discussion below]
Pitneillie-Medow (vel Petmillie-Medow) 1611 RMS vii no. 464 col. 2 [Latin vel ‘or’; preceded by Balmakky-Medow]
lie Pitneilliemedow 1635 RMS ix no. 307 [‘the meadows the *Ward Meadow and the Pitmilly Meadow’ (prata lie the [sic] Wairdmedow et lie Pitneilliemedow)]
Petneillie-Medow 1641 RMS ix no. 1005
Pitmilly Meadow 1843 Priory Acres Plan [between the Largo Road and the Canongate]
en Pitmilly + Sc meadow
The most likely explanation of this name is that the laird of Pitmilly KBS had feued this land from St Andrews Priory at some point before 1592, when it is first mentioned. The forms with n are thus due to a transcription error.
In the 1592 royal charter feuing Pitmilly Meadow to the Balfours, its seven acres are situated exactly amongst those of a number of other tenants, such as of the late Master Thomas Balfour in the *Horseleas (lie Horsleis), and various tenants in Feddinch (Fedinch) CMN, Eister Brounfald, and Wester Brounfald. All these places mentioned simply give the provenance of the tenants: the only geographical co-ordinate in this description is that it lies on the Canongate (viam Canonicorum), which corresponds exactly with its position as shown on the nineteenth-century Priory Acres Plan.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3