New Grange SSL S NO5114 2
Grangia que noua dicitur 1248 St A. Lib. 104 [‘Grange which is called new’]
Nova Grangia 1439 St A. Cop. no. 102 [in Latin rubric]
Neugrange 1439 St A. Cop. no. 102 [in Sc text]
Newgrange 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church land]
Novam Grangiam 1513 RMS ii no. 3813 [his new ward between the lands of Lambieletham (Lambilethny) CMN and Novam Grangiam (New Grange)]
Grange 1587 Assumption, 10 [St Andrews Priory land, already fragmented]
Newgrange 1587 Assumption, 13 [listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for 9 bolls wheat, 1 chalder 2 bolls bere, 4 chalders oats]
Grang 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [St Andrews Priory lands]
(lands of) Newgrainge 1630 Retours Fife no. 429 [part of lands of New Grange called *Bereflat (Bearflett); another part ... called the Garris # (lie Gurres)]
Newgrange 1646 Retours (Fife) no. 697 [John Scrimgeour (Scrymgeor), part of the lands of New Grange, including that part called Scooniehill (Sconiehill)]
Newgrange 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 788 [John Carstairs of Kilconquhar, a 12th part of lands of Newgrange, a quarter of a 24th part of the same lands, in lordship of priory and regality of St Andrews; a 12th part and a quarter of a 24th part of the same lands, and 5 acres of arable in East Grange (Eistgrange) SSL]
Eistgrange 1649 Retours (Fife) no. 788 [see preceding]
Grange 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Grang 1684 Adair/East Fife
(the toun and lands of) Newgrange 1700 Retours Fife no. 1444 [‘in that part or shade of the toun and lands of Newgrange called Garries; part of the toun and lands <of Newgrange> called Westfeild alias Greigstafts or Gathercold, which once belonged to Wellwood, containing 6 acres of land or thereabouts’]
Grange 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
E. Grange 1753 Roy sheet 19, 5
E Grange 1775 Ainslie/Fife
W Grange 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Newgrange 1784 Sasines no. 953 [shade called Newgrange or Cunnigar]
Newgrange 1784 Sasines no. 961 [shade called Newgrange or Cunningward]
(the toun and lands of) Newgrange 1808 Sasines no. 7958 [parts of the toun and lands of Newgrange viz Bearflatt, Myrebutts, Cowcrook, Benbegreen, Cunletts, Easter Langlands]
lands of New Grange 1819 Sasines no. 12515 [1 acre in lands of New Grange called the Nether Garras ... territory called Garras]
Grange 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
lands of Grange 1877 -8 Valuation Roll [lands of Grange and Garris]
Sc new + Sc grange
‘New monastic farm’, in this case belonging to the priory of St Andrews. For the suggestion that it might have previously been called Garried #, see under that name, as well as under Garris # SSL.
There is some confusion on modern maps as to the exact site of this place, with every map from Ainslie/Fife to OS Pathf. having different designations for different parts of what must have once been a large and important estate. For example what appears on OS 1 inch 2nd edn and OS 1 inch 7th Series as New Grange appears on Ainslie/Fife (1775) and Ainslie/East Fife (1827) as W. Grange, on SGF (1828) as Old Grange and on OS Pathf. as The Grange Farm. On the Priory Acres Plan (1843) the area is designated simply as Grange, with Grange Cross to the east of the road to Gilmerton CMN. The confusion is partly explained by OS 6 inch 1 edn (1855), which clearly shows two separate but adjacent farms, called Wester Grange and New Grange, which together appear on OS Pathf. as The Grange Farm.
Cunnigar etc., which appears as an alternative name for New Grange in the late eighteenth century, is Sc cuningar, cunigar etc. ‘rabbit-warren’ (from Latin cunegaria and similar, MLWL s.v. cuniculus). It is found frequently in minor names throughout Fife, e.g. part of the lands on which the town of Burntisland was built in the early sixteenth century was called Cunnyngayrland (PNF 1).
OS Pathf. shows The Grange, The Grange Farm, The Grange Inn, East Grange and Grange.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3