Goukston # SSL S NO465153 1 85m
Goukstoun 1513 RMS ii no. 3812 [two mills of Goukston and *Craigmill (Cragmyll)  described as ‘built by them (St Andrews Priory) a long time ago’ (per se jampridum edificata): amongst grants made by the Priory to the newly founded college of St Leonards]
(one third of the vill of) Goigistoun 1566 RMS v no. 806 [James commendator of St Andrews Priory feus to Alexander Moreis and Mariota Richardson his spouse, and to Thomas Haggie or Heggie (Hagy) one third of the vill of Goukston in the regality of St Andrews]
Cokstoun 1587 Assumption, 10 [listed amongst the rental of the fermes in silver of all the lands in lordship of St Andrews Priory; leased for £9 6 s. 8 d.]
Sastoun 1587 Assumption, 12 [scribal or transcription error; listed in the rental of the teind sheaves of the St Andrews Priory, within the parish of St Andrews (the Trinity); leased for 1 boll wheat, 6 bolls bere, 1 chalder oats]
Goukston 1587 Assumption, 18 [fractions of Denbrae (Denbray) SSL and Goukston set in feu]
ane uther se pairt of Gokstoun 1587 Assumption, 18 [‘another 6th of Goukston set in feu to John Dewar’ (set in few to Johnne Dewar) for 46 s. 8 d.]
terras de Goikstoun 1625 Retours (Fife) no. 364
Gukstoun 1635 RMS ix no. 307
Caikistoun 1641 RMS ix no. 1005
Goukstoun 1642 RMS ix no. 1201 [Haggie or Heggie (Haigye) and Geddie]
Gokston 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Gokstoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Gouckstoun 1694 Retours (Fife) no. 1357 [Eliz. Barclay, a third ‘of the toun and of the lands’ (villae et terrarum) of Goukston, in the lordship of the priory of St Andrews and its regality]
Goukstane 1753 Roy sheet 18, 1
Gougston 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Goiston 1793 Sasines no. 3702 [Dewarsmill; 1/3 Goiston and Angrecroft (Croftangry) SSL, and part of Magus Muir etc.]
Goukston 1798 Sasines no. 5208 [‘John Brown of Goukston or Gouston or Goiston with Mill of Goiston or Gouston called Dewar’s Mill’ (Dewars Mill SSL)]
Sc gowk or pn Gowk + Sc toun
‘Cuckoo’s or Gowk’s farm’. It lay on the now disused Bishop’s Road south of Strathkinness (NO465153).
According to Black (1946, 321), Gouk or Gowk was often employed as a full personal name as well as a nick-name, and it is still found as a surname in and around Montrose ANG. Compare also the Old Scandinavian personal name Gaukr, for which see Smith 1956, s.n.
Dewars Mill (Deurs mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife), now disused, is about two km to the north-east, but is identified as the mill of Goukston in 1798.
The location for this settlement at the above NGR, on the now disused Bishop’s Road south of Strathkinness, remains valid, as evidenced by early maps such as Ainslie/1775, as well as its association with Dewars Mill, formerly Goukston Mill. However, the matter is complicated by the fact that at some time in the nineteenth or early twentieth century the name appears to have been transferred to a house and small-holding between Denhead and Elderbank SSL, NO465136. An elderly resident of Denhead informed Mr J. M. Henderson in 2000 that when she was born in this house it was known as Gowkston, the land being then farmed by her father, Mr Ronald Greig. Her parents disliked the name and changed it to Carolside, by which name it is still known. It appears in the Valuation Roll 1925/6 for SSL as Gowkston ‘with house, gardenland and piggery’ (p. 286); while the 1950/1 Valuation Roll names it as Carolside, still owned by Mr Greig (p. 328).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3