Garroflat # SSL S NO492166 2
Gally flats 1555 SAUL B65 12 no. 96 (p. 65) [18th c. copy; last in a long list of lands belonging to St Andrews Priory, preceded by Wester Lang lands and North Moor]
Garrowflatt 1634 RMS ix no. 1201 [4 acres in Garrowflatt, 4 in Northmure, formerly held of the archbishop of St Andrews, associated with lands of Denbrae SSL, Balone SSL and Goukston # SSL]
Garrow Flatt 1810 Sasines no. 8685
Garroflat 1817 Sasines no. 11448 [‘shade or territory of old called Garroflat now the Wester Northmuir’]
? Sc gairy + Sc flat(t)
‘Variegated or streaked piece of level ground or flat field’? If this is correct, then the earliest form, in Gally-, requires some explanation. It may be the result of mistranscription by the eighteenth-century copier, or reflect the assimilation of the liquid r to the following liquid l in flat. The fact that Gally- appears only once suggests that it is something of an aberration. It is not recorded as a word in DOST, although SND Supplement gives gally as an adjective from gall ‘bog-myrtle’ (DSL), an unlikely plant for this part of Scotland, especially the well-worked lands of the Priory Acres.
Northmuir, according to the Priory Acres Plan (1843), lies west of the town of St Andrews between W. Langlands (OS Pathf. Lang Lands) and North Haugh (NO493167). On the same Priory Acres Plan Garrowflat appears beside New Grange, to the south-west of the town (NO515153). This cannot be the one mentioned in the above documentary sources, and it may in fact be an error for Garris # SSL.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 3